Red Velvet Sugar Cookies
- 1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks)
- 4 ounces cream cheese (half a brick)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg yolk large
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon red food coloring (liquid)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Place the butter cream cheese and sugar in a large mixing bowl and beat on medium-low speed until smooth (about 1 minute).
- Add the egg yolk vanilla and food coloring and mix on medium speed until combined.
- Scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl with a silicone spatula then add the flour cocoa cornstarch and salt.
- Mix on medium-low speed until a stiff dough forms (about 30 seconds to 1 minute).
- Roll the dough to 3/16-inch thick (rolling pin rings ensure an even and exact thickness) between 2 sheets of parchment paper.
- Remove the top sheet of parchment and cut shapes with a 3-inch heart cookie cutter.
- Peel the shapes from the bottom layer of parchment and transfer to the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake for 12 to 16 minutes or until set around the edges but still a little soft towards the center.
- Cool completely then frost with royal icing.
Base Recipe adapted from this SITE