Parmesan Crusted Chicken In A Spicy New Orleans Sauce
- 1 egg
- salt and pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 tbsp olive oil (divided)
- 2 tbsp butter (divided)
- 1 lb chicken breasts thin (4 to 5 pieces)
- 8 oz cremini mushrooms sliced
- ½ large yellow bell pepper chopped
- ½ large red bell pepper chopped
- 2 green onions chopped
- 3 cloves garlic sliced
- 1 cup chicken stock sodium free (adjust salt if not sodium free)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons Cajun Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 10 oz bow tie pasta
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- First paper towel dry the chicken and then prepare two bowls. One is for the egg salt pepper garlic powder and Italian seasoning. Whisk this egg mixture slightly.
- The second bowl is for the parmesan bread crumbs and flour.
- Dredge each chicken breast piece in egg/seasoning mixture. After that place in parmesan mixture and press. Turn to coat the other side of the chicken with parmesan mixture and press again. Repeat with remaining chicken pieces and place each coated parmesan chicken onto a plate or a cutting board.
- TO COOK THE CHICKEN: Heat 1 tbsp olive oil and 1 tbsp butter on medium high in the stainless steel skillet. PLACE COATED CHICKEN in skillet and cook on medium high heat for 3-4 minutes one one side. DO NOT MOVE chicken otherwise the cheese will slide off surface before it adheres! Press down lightly with a spatula. TURN WITH TONGS when the first side is golden brown and cook the other side for 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from the skillet onto a large plate.
- Melt 2nd tablespoon olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter. Add sliced mushrooms to the hot pan and cook for a total of 3 minutes – 1.5 minute on each side.
- Add chopped bell peppers and green onions and a splash of olive oil. Cook for 4 minutes on medium high until softened. Add garlic cloves and cook for 1 additional minute until garlic is fragrant.
- TO MAKE SAUCE: Add chicken stock heavy cream Cajun Seasoning and salt to taste.
- TO COOK PASTA: In the meantime bring a large pot of water to boil add pasta and cook it according to instructions. Drain the pasta but do not rinse. For authentic “al dente” pasta boil your pasta uncovered stirring occasionally for 12 minutes. For more tender pasta boil an additional 1 minute.
- Add pasta to the pan and stir until fully coated in sauce. Add Parmesan to the sauce now. Taste and season with more salt if necessary.
- Slice chicken into thin strips and serve on top of pasta in individual plates. Sprinkle with additional shredded Parmesan and chopped fresh green onions if desired.
This article and recipe adapted from this site