Italian Cream Cheese Cake
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 5 large eggs separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1-1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup chopped pecans
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- 11 ounces cream cheese softened
- 3/4 cup butter softened
- 6 cups confectioners sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour three 9-in. round baking pans. In a large bowl cream butter shortening and granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks and vanilla. Combine flour and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Beat until just combined. Stir in coconut and pecans.
- In another bowl beat egg whites with clean beaters until stiff but not dry. Fold one-fourth of the egg whites into batter then fold in remaining whites. Pour into prepared pans.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean 20-25 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Beat in confectioners’ sugar and vanilla until fluffy. Stir in pecans. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. Refrigerate.
This article and recipe adapted from this site