Healthy Coconut Lime Chicken
- 1 shallot diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger grated on a microplane
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped (plus more for topping)
- 1/3 cup lime juice (about 2 limes)
- 4 chicken breasts
- 2 tbsp avocado oil (or coconut oil)
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1.5 cups full fat coconut milk
- Salt and pepper
- Lime slices for topping (optional)
- Prep shallot garlic ginger and cilantro as noted. Juice limes and set aside.
- Place the chicken breasts between two pieces of parchment paper and pound them down to make them even in thickness. Sprinkle each side of the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add avocado oil.
- Once hot add the chicken to the pan (you may have to cook the chicken in 2 batches depending on the size of your pan). Cook without disturbing for 3-4 minutes until a nice brown crust has formed. Flip and cook another 3-4 minutes on the other side until the chicken is mostly cooked through.
- Remove chicken from the skillet and set aside. Lower the heat to medium.
- Add more oil if needed and add the garlic and shallot to the pan. Cook stirring constantly for 1-2 minutes.
- Add chicken stock coconut milk lime juice ginger and cilantro to the pan. Stir to mix scraping up any browned bits remaining in the pan from when you cooked your chicken.
- Add the chicken breasts back to the skillet with the sauce. Cover and turn heat down to low. Simmer for 5 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked.
- Serve with vegetables potatoes rice or cauli rice. Spoon some sauce over everything for serving. Sprinkle with cilantro and garnish with lime slices (optional).
This article and recipe adapted from this site