Easy Chicken And Dumplings
- 4 tablespoons butter divided
- 2 carrots diced small
- 2 stalks celery plus their leaves diced
- 1 onion diced
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour divided
- 4 cups chicken stock/broth
- 1 cup whole milk divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves or 1/2 teaspoon dried plus more for garnish
- 2 cups cooked diced or shredded chicken
- extra salt and pepper
- Saute the carrots celery and onions in 2 tablespoons of the butter in a large pot over medium high heat until browned and soft (about 3 minutes).
- Add 1/4 cup flour stir to coat.
- Add chicken broth (4 cups) and bring to a boil.
- Turn the heat down to simmer and add 1/2 cup milk and the chicken. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile to make the dumplings mix together the remaining 1 cup of flour 1 teaspoon salt 1 teaspoon baking powder and 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves. Stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter melted until flour mixture is crumbly looking. Add the remaining 1/2 cup of milk and stir until JUST combined. Do NOT over mix or your dumplings may be dense.
- Add spoonfuls of the dumpling mixture to the simmering pot- I recommend using a small cookie scoop for this (a tablespoon can also be used).
- Cover and simmer on low for 15 minutes or until dumplings are fluffy cooked and float to the top. No peeking!
- Serve garnished with extra fresh thyme and fresh ground pepper if desired.
This article and recipe adapted from this site