Chocolate Oreo Cake
- 2 cups (260g) flour
- 2 cups (414g) sugar
- 3/4 cup (85g) natural unsweetened cocoa powder OR Hershey’s Special Dark Cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup (240ml) buttermilk
- 1 cup (240ml) vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup (240ml) boiling water
- 1 1/2 cups (336g) butter
- 1 1/2 cups (284g) shortening
- 8–9 cups (920g-1035g) powdered sugar
- 3 cups (414g) Oreo crumbs (about 33 Oreos)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 6–7 tbsp (90ml-105ml) water
- 6 oz (1 cup | 169g) semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Oreos optional
- NOTE: You’ll need at least one full package of Oreos. If you plan to decorate the outside of the cake with more Oreos as shown you might need a second package.
- Prepare three 8 inch cake pans with parchment paper circles in the bottom and grease the sides.
- Add all dry ingredients to a large bowl and whisk together.
- Add eggs buttermilk and vegetable oil to the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Add vanilla to boiling water and add to mixture. Mix well.
- Divide batter between three cakes pans and bake at 300 degrees for about 30-33 minutes or until a toothpick comes out with a few crumbs.
- Remove cakes from oven and allow to cool for about 10 minutes then remove to cooling racks to cool completely.
- Make icing while cakes cool. Beat together butter and shortening until smooth.
- Slowly add 4 cups of powdered sugar and mix until smooth.
- Add vanilla and Oreo crumbs and mix until smooth.
- 1 Add another 4-5 cups of powdered sugar and mix until smooth. Add water or milk until you get a smooth consistency.
- Set aside about 3 1/2 cups of icing for the filling inside the cake and add chopped Oreos if using.
- Once cakes are cool remove cake domes from top with a large serrated knife.
- Place first layer of cake on cake plate. Spread 1/2 of the icing with the chopped Oreos on top in an even layer.
- Add second layer of cake and add the rest of the of icing with chopped Oreos on top in an even layer.
- Add final layer of cake on top and frost the outside of the cake with remaining frosting. Feel free to use my tutorial for how to frost a smooth cake.
- To make the chocolate ganache add the chocolate chips to a medium sized bowl (see my tips on making chocolate ganache).
- Heat the heavy whipping cream just until it begins to boil then pour it over the chocolate chips. Allow it to sit for 2-3 minutes then whisk until smooth.
- Drizzle the chocolate ganache around the edge of the cake then pour the remainder of the ganache on top of the cake and spread evenly. I like to use a squeeze bottle for drizzling around the edges.
- Allow the ganache to firm up a bit then pipe the remainder of the frosting around the top edge of the cake (see my tips on making a chocolate drip cake) and add an Oreo between each swirl. I used Ateco tip 847.
- Sprinkle a few Oreo crumbs onto to the cake if desired then serve. Cake is best when well covered for 3-4 days.
Base Recipe adapted from this SITE