Best Greek Chicken And Potato Dinner
- 4 to 5 pieces chicken bone in skin on (I used 2 breasts and 3 legs)
- 4 gold potatoes (about 2 lb) scrubbed clean cut into thin wedges
- 1 medium yellow onion halved then sliced
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp quality extra virgin olive oil plus 1/2 cup more for later
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 12 fresh garlic cloves minced
- 1 1/2 tbsp dried Rosemary
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 lemon sliced
- 12 pitted quality kalamata olives optional
- Fresh parsley for garnish
- Sides (optional)
- Greek Salad
- Tzatziki Sauce
- Pat chicken dry and season generously with salt (lift the skins and apply salt underneath as well). Leave at room temperature for 30 minutes. Pat dry again if needed.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the potato wedges and onions on large sheet pan. Season with salt and 1 tsp black pepper.
- In a large skillet heat 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken skin-side down to brown (about 5 t0 7 minutes ) then flip over and sear briefly another 3 minutes or so. (do this in batches if you need to). Transfer from skillet to the prepared sheet pan nestled between the potato wedges keeping everything in one layer.
- In a small mixing bowl whisk together 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil with lemon juice minced garlic rosemary and nutmeg. Pour all over the chicken and potatoes; lift chicken pieces so some of the juice will flow under and toss potatoes until well-coated.
- Now pour chicken broth into the pan but do not pour over the chicken. Add lemon slices on top.
- Bake in heated oven uncovered for 45 minutes to 1 hour until chicken and potatoes are tender. Occasionally flip the potatoes over. (Chicken’s internal temperature should register at 165 degrees F)
- Remove from heat and add kalamata olives if you like. Garnish with a little bit of fresh parsley. Serve with Greek salad Taztaziki sauce and a side of pita bread. Enjoy!
This article and recipe adapted from this site